I can be an awfully indecisive person at times. Often I’ve been in the grips of analysis paralysis unable to pick a course of action to take, crippled with choice.
When I was a student I read The Dice Man and was sorely tempted to make all my decisions by rolling a die or tossing a coin. Needless to say this is maybe not the best way for a person to navigate through life.
Recently I had to contemplate a specific yes/no situation and joked with the idea of tossing a coin to decide. It then occured to me that I could go one better and after a little bit of tinkering wth Objective-C this is what I made:
Upon touching the screen the text alternates between “Yes” and “No” and after a random period of time between 1 and 3 seconds it stops. Simple.
This app scratches an itch and it’ll likely never see any additional work though a possible future addition would be to allow a user defined number of free-text choices, maybe even with weighting towards one choice or another.
The source is on GitHub if you think it could be useful for anything.
About 9 hours ago I dandered down the road to see what was happening at the FlackNite event being hosted in Farset Labs.
When I finally got myself settled down with network access and a cup of coffee and said hello to everyone it seemed I was the only one without a project to work on. Nightmare.
I couldn’t think of what to focus on but Rob and Pete were sitting next to me and tinkering with some Objective-C and Cocoa. Considering that I’m now on the iOS developer program, doing something similar seemed like a good idea.
I needed to pick something that could be accomplished within a relatively short period of time and I’ve had a few small projects which I’ve wanted to get out of the way for a while but most of them would have required some research effort to take me into unchartered territory.
This constraint left me with a single task: the relatively straight-forward job of porting the OS X client of my Coffee Tracker API to iOS.
Coffee was drank, pizza was eaten, many laughs were had and some Objective-C was cranked out.
Beyond creating a new iOS project and user interface, the existing code didn’t require much change. Turning off ARC for AFNetworking was the most involved thing I had to do.
After the basic port I added a few finer details like turning on the network activity indicator when the web service was being accessed and making sure the count was refreshed whenever the app became active. Simple.
It was good again to sit down with a specific task, open Xcode and eventually come to a solution. Maybe some day I’ll produce something more involved but I’m pleased with how things are progressing.
Full source code is available on GitHub so fill your boots.