I thought I’d keep myself current and so I’ve just upgraded my installation of WordPress from 2.0.2 to 2.0.4.
I was a bit reluctant to do so as I was happy with what the software was doing, but I remember reading some mention of security updates, so I went for the plunge. The log files on this box are filled with failed login attempts so I know for certain that people are trying to find a way in and if doing something as simple (!) as updating a set of php scripts helps prevent my machine from being compromised, I’m all for it.
I downloaded the latest version of WordPress, backed up the database via phpMyAdmin and made a copy of the working blog directory. I deactivated my plugins but then ran into a bit of bother when it came to updating the scripts from the archive (my shell skills are still quite basic) so I just removed the working directory and started anew, copying over the settings file (wp-config.php) and the wp-content directory.
I was prompted to run the upgrade script when I browsed to the site and from there it was plain sailing, re-activating the plugins and theme. All-in-all quite painless, and I even got a chance to use Screen a bit, job’s a gud’un!
I’ve just published the first release of a little application I wrote to manage the list of internal extension & direct dial numbers of staff here at the VDA.
A few members of staff have been asked to give it a whirl and report back. Up until now it’s been the responsibility of one of the admin team to maintain a spreadsheet containing the info and distribute printed copies of it to everyone else.
This has been my first experience with C# .net and I’ve enjoyed it for the most part. I’d started a project in VB .net a while back using a beta of Visual Studio 2005 and just hated the language; I ended up hitting a wall with a particular aspect of the app and just gave up on it (shame and guilt galore,) so I was reluctant to start another project but thankfully everything was relatively straight-forward this time around.
vdaExtensions is only a small app but it feels great to have brought it to the (I hope) point of usability, all that is left is to wait for bug-reports and try my best to resolve any issues!
It’s now onto researching and hopefully implementing a system for digitally signing (via GnuPG) submitted information for the database-app Kevin is working on…
Yesterday, my copy of Firefox updated itself (to version 184.108.40.206 no less) and when it restarted I was reminded about the upcoming World Firefox Day. I’d read about this on Slashdot a while back and just forgot about it.
I checked out the site and immediately thought of my colleage, Kevin. The $ORGANISATION’s a Microsoft shop through and through and Kev, like the bulk of the staff here, sticks to the web-browser that came bundled with the OS. I’ve been using Firefox for over 2 years now and have never looked back: it’s a memory hog, yes, but it’s sooo extendable and having tabbed browsing has changed my online existence no end.
So, if by 15th September Kev downloads and installs firefox we’ll get a mention on the “Firefox Friends Wall” and in Firefox 2.
It all sounds like a good bit of craic but I’m not holding my breath!